Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A general update on our life right now

I realized recently that many people do not know why we are still living in Provo, so I thought I would write a general update of what is going on in our lives.

Right now, my husband Brent is pursuing a PhD in Acoustical Physics at Brigham Young University. He went straight from a Bachelor's degree to this program, which means it's a 5-year program. At other schools the program is even longer, so we count ourselves lucky. Acoustical physics essentially means that Brent studies sound waves. All day. Every day. He loves it. It confuses me. But I love that he loves it. At the end of this semester we will officially be halfway done.

The question we ALWAYS get at this point is, "So does he want to teach then?" A big resounding NO. If everyone could please stop assuming that a PhD means he can only become a professor I would really appreciate it. While it certainly is an option, and a noble one, it is not an option he wants to pursue. He would much rather work in a field that utilizes practical application to his research. Most of his research encompasses jet noise (my husband is a rocket scientist!! Well, sort of), and so it is very likely that he could continue in that field post-graduation working for a company like the Air Force (who currently funds him), Boeing, NASA, or a government lab. Brent did an internship at Los Alamos National Laboratories in Los Alamos, NM and we definitely wouldn't mind ending up there. There are national labs all over the country, and they tend to be good places to work, so I hear. It's also possible that he could end up in a completely different acoustical field (yes, there are surprisingly many), but we really won't know until right before graduation in a couple of years. I always hate not knowing what's coming next, but I'm grateful for the stability we are enjoying for now at least.

As far as plans after graduation, we could end up anywhere, but we would love to end up near family. Growing up near cousins and grandparents and stable aunts and uncles was such a crucial part of my upbringing that I really desire that for my own children. We will not end up in Utah. There is not a huge demand for acoustical physicists in Utah, and the siblings that are here do not intend to stay. While I love Utah in so many ways, and love so many of its people, it has never felt completely like "home," but more of a chapter in a book. A very important chapter, but one that will end.

As for me, I am a homemaker, or SAHM (stay at home mom) in today's vernacular, but I also am an artist and am trying very hard to make some money with my art. We don't need the money. It's more of a personal goal and a way to validate my work. I've actually applied to some shows this year, and I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll be accepted. If you haven't looked at it, check out my new website http://www.angelareichman.com. I used to have a website with my sister Kathryn, but she needs a break, so we decided together that it would be good for me to continue on my own now. Art has always been a passion of mine, and I have always felt a personal calling to constantly work at it and try to get my art "out there." I have been recently blessed with a lot of commissions lately, which has been exciting, but has also helped me see how I want to narrow my field and style. I'm not entirely sure what I want my ultimate artistic goals to be, but mostly I want people to be inspired and uplifted by work.

Here's a piece I worked on this year but never totally finished. Any takers?


"Hannah"
And another one I made around Easter:



It is a struggle to be both an artist and a homemaker. Both roles constantly pull at me, and I always feel like I'm neglecting one of them (usually the artist side). I have a paralyzing fear that if I focus too much on my art I will have nothing left to give my children, or worse, that they will feel like I value my art more than them. I try to work only during nap time or when Brent is home, but making it a priority is difficult, and not having a real studio space adds an extra challenge. A corner of my kitchen is my current studio, and I'm hoping that as Caleb gets older we will be able to work on art projects together, but as it currently stands Caleb thinks that anything in my hands also belongs to him. What a typical toddler. ;)

Callings--Brent and I recently received new callings. We used to co-teach a youth Sunday School class, which we loved. Those youth are amazing. Brent has now been called to be a 2nd Counselor in one of our two Elder's Quorum presidencies, and I have been called to be the ward choir director. I never in my whole life ever thought I would be called to be a choir director. To be perfectly honest, I didn't want to say yes. I didn't feel adequate, our choir numbers were pretty pathetic, and I couldn't see why this calling mattered in a ward that seems to have so many struggles. After talking with some family members, I have since repented and am trying to grab the bull by the horns. And believe it or not, I really love this calling! We don't sing anything complicated, everyone is welcome no matter age or ability, and we always have treats and babysitters. Attendance has greatly improved, and most of the people who come are actually other parents of small children. I have been very humbled as I have seen how important music is to some people, and how choir is a blessing to a ward by more than bringing more music. I am far from the most qualified person for this calling, but I have been blessed with a very supportive husband who rearranges the furniture every Sunday so we can fit everyone plus a keyboard in our living room, often makes the treats, and is always willing to step in as the pianist or babysitter if either of them can't make it. (How did I get so dang lucky??) I have felt very buoyed up in this calling in many ways, and am grateful that Heavenly Father knows me better than I know myself.




As for Caleb, he is doing so great. He turns 2 next month, but he is the size of a 3-year old. He chats up a storm, and even put together his first sentence about a month ago: "I eat yogurt." He can identify every capital letter of the alphabet as well as a few numbers, but numbers that look like letters are tricky (1 looks like I, 2 looks like Z.) He loves to repeat anything he hears people say. One of the most common things he repeats is "I'll be right back" and it's adorable. It comes out sounding "I ee rye back." We are currently in the process of switching him from his crib to a big bed, in an effort to improve bedtime, which has been very stressful the last few weeks. We have also bought a little potty to introduce the idea of potty-training, but will wait until the bed switch is well-established before we encourage other drastic changes in his world.

A donut AND a sucker while shopping? Toddler heaven right there. And with that big smile, it's mommy heaven too.

I think that's about it. Brent is about to go to Tempe, AZ for a conference for a few days, which happens 2-3 times a year. Halloween is coming up, which is one of my favorite holidays. Next month Brent and Caleb both have birthdays, so I gotta get my rear in gear to prep for those. Life is good, and we are very happy.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know this post was up, Angela. I love it. You have so many gifts, dear one. How I love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete