Friday, November 20, 2015

On the Syrian refugees: A plea for compassion

I debated writing this. I don't like to ruffle feathers. I prayed about it. And the thought came to me that so few people are advocating for this group, and my heart ached. Deeply. And maybe only people who agree with me will actually read this. But I feel really helpless right now to help these people, and this feels like the only way that I can.

"For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in


Naked and clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.


Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? Or thirsty, and gave thee drink?


Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?


And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I saw unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:35-40)






This is my plea to you my fellow Christians--will you follow Christ all the way? Even if it doesn't agree with your politics? Even if it makes you uncomfortable? Are you pro-life for the whole life? Or only as long as it isn't inconveniencing you? Because if you are shouting, "Keep them in their own country!!!" then I really have a hard time believing that you are truly pro-life.


I get it. We can't do thorough background checks on all the refugees. It doesn't seem responsible to bring in all these people we don't know. I mean, what if someone dangerous got in???? Like, someone from ISIS???


The problem I have with that reasoning, is that the above reasoning comes from a place of fear.


"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

"...I fear not what man can do; for perfect love casteth out all fear." (Moroni 8:16)

Perhaps it isn't reasonable to allow refugees in while we are so busy trying to fix our own problems. Perhaps it isn't practical to send them from so far away when there are closer countries. And yes, I supposed there is a small risk of a bad person sneaking in. 

Some people use this cringeworthy analogy:




Let me tell you how much I hate this analogy. I HATE IT. People that would come into your home at night while you lay in bed asleep have very different intentions than a refugee literally crying and begging for help. Someone breaking in your house has no moral intention. A refugee is literally doing the every thing they can think of for self-preservation because their own country is literally killing them. They are victims of crisis in the worst possible ways. If you heard someone being raped and screaming for help outside your window, would you go help, or would you lock the door, turn up the TV and say, "Don't let her in! She'll rape you too!" At the very least, would you call upon people who were equipped to help, like the police?

Click here to read several true accounts of actual refugees who actually were fortunate enough to make it to a new country. These do not seem to be bad people to me. On the contrary, they are people who are fleeing the very thing we fear. I will tell you, if I was in these people's shoes, I would be doing exactly what they are doing. Running to save my family. Because I would rather drown than risk my son watch all his friends get blown up in the school bus in front of his. I'd rather risk going to an unfamiliar country begging on my hands and knees than risk ever seeing my brother's severed head delivered to my door. Did you see the picture of the drowned toddler washed up on the Turkish shore, who died in an attempt to flee his war-ravaged country? Does that child look like ISIS to you?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued this letter in response to the crisis. If you are LDS, will you follow the church, even if it disagrees with your politics? Or will you say, "Oh the Church doesn't know. They don't know what they are talking about. If they really knew the risks they wouldn't say that." I will boldly tell you that if you are saying that, then you are no better than the people who disagree with the church's stance on same-sex attraction. Why? Because it all comes down to revelation. Do you believe this church is guided by revelation or not? All the way, or only when it agrees with your politics? Granted, the letter wasn't asking you to take in refugees into your home. It said to be practical. But for heavens sake don't let your "practicality" rob you of your charity. 

Maybe you think that the terrorist attacks were caused by individuals posing as refugees. Did you know one of them was actually a Frenchman, not a foreigner? Did you know that many of the other terrorists had passports? Do you know how much planning it takes to get a passport, even an illegal one? That doesn't sound like people posing as refugees desperate for their life. 

Maybe you aren't convinced. Maybe we can't financially support them. ("We should be supporting our vets instead!!!!!"*) If it really is wrong for our country to actually help these people in dire need, then instead of shouting to sign some petition begging to keep the refugees out, can we at least have a civilized and compassionate conversation on what another solution could be? You know, actually be helpful??? You know, actually follow the Savior's example??

Some of you will recognize this man. 





Did you know he was once a refugee? Not just a refugee, but a refugee from a country that was a longtime enemy of the US. Can you think of his talks about love and the grace of God and still look at him and say, "Keep the refugees out!" 

Could you look at the Savior and still say it? 

Could you? 

I am pleading with each of you to have compassion. I am pleading with you to help those who are unable to help themselves if you are in a position to do so. I am pleading with you to let go of your fear of a people you do not understand, and look at them as God's children. Remember that you will one day be held accountable for how you treated God's other children during your earth life. 

If you would like to help, here are some ways you can help:




  • Donate to the humanitarian fund of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is done on a tithing slip, which can be procured from any LDS/Mormon Bishop. Just ask any member you know who their bishop is, or find the nearest chapel here. The Church recently made a $5 million donation to the middle-eastern refugees.
  • Don't want to donate through the LDS church? Here is another campaign donating much needed items to refugees. $15 gives a refugee a complete package.
  • If you have a baby carrier you are no longer using, you can donate it to a grateful refugee traveling with a small child. Here is how.
  • If you are a Utah resident: From Mikle South--Utah Governor Gary Herbert is now the only Republican governor in the nation who says he will still accept refugees from Syria. Regardless of what you think of his other positions, he could use some serious support right now. National and in-state members of his own party are criticizing him for his position, and his office's phone lines have been flooded with angry callers. Insiders say he very much pays attention to those calls and emails, and sheer numbers (either way) on an issue can change his mind. To voice your support, it takes one phone call or one email -- or both. Call 801-538-1000 from anywhere, or 800-705-2464 from inside Utah. Or fill out this form online: https://gocentral.utah.gov/Request/Contact Keep your comments short, and don't bring up other subjects. Just say you are a Utah resident who supports his position on Syrian refugees. You will be added to a daily tally kept by his staff. Because we're coming up on an election year, he will care most what his fellow party members from within Utah think. If you're a registered Republican in Utah or have or plan to vote in a Republican primary, note that in your comment or on the phone. It matters. You can call AND fill out the online form.
    • Know of any other ways? PLEASE comment below!

    If you made it to the end...thanks. I will end with this:

    "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
    And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12: 30-31)

    *I absolutely believe in also helping our veterans. But I do not believe one person in need must be helped at the expense of another. Let's help all within our power.

    If you comment, keep it civil. If your comments are unkind to me or anyone else on the thread, I will delete your comment, whether or not we share the same point of view.



2 comments:

  1. I love this post. You've expressed so much of how I've felt about all of this. The only thing I will add is this: while we should keep our doors open, our main focus should be to help them restore peace to their own homes. I feel this way not because I don't want them here but because I imagine so many of them would rather have their home be peaceful rather than be forced from it. I also think this should be our focus because as evil spreads, it will find its way into our own homes, unless we get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete