Sunday, February 13, 2011

#14: Don't Drink Too Much Liquid at Bedtime

  Alright, so I know that this story becomes even more embarrassing by me sharing it in a public place...but I figure someone will get a good laugh about it. This is a mission story, and is copied straight from my journal, with a few insertions as noted by the brackets.
 
    Background: I am in my first month in the mission field, and was still getting used to the groove of missionary work, people skills, and being assertive. I am in a trio with Hermana Ortiz, my Argentine trainer who was intense and who I always wanted to be like, and Hermana Hayes, my "Legally Blonde" companion, who I was put with again 9 months later--love her!! But...takes her time in the bathroom :)
  Please don't judge me after reading this.

"So it;s about 7:30 in the morning, but I had to write a funny story. I can't ever tell my companions about this or else everyone will know [I later told them and now everyone will know by me posting this] and they wouldn't look at me the same. But I'm sure someone will get a laugh our of this later, and it kinda makes for a good "mission" story.


So lately I've been waking up at about 5 a.m., usually to go to the bathroom, and then I fall back asleep. Well, this morning I woke up, had to kinda go to the bathroom, but I really just wanted to go back to sleep [I cherish my sleep deeply] and I didn't want to wake up my companions, as my bed creaks a lot [it was basically old wooden planks crudely nailed together]. So I went back to sleep and woke up at around 6:10 or so. Hermana Hayes was already up and praying, and I had to go to the bathroom but I thought I'd try to sleep until my alarm went off as I hate not getting enough sleep. I woke up about 10 minutes later, and Hermana Hayes was in the shower, and now I really had to go to the bathroom. Hermana Ortiz was still sleeping and I laid there figuring as soon as Hermana Hayes opened the bathroom door I would just book it to the bathroom before Hermana Ortiz could. So I waited...began to squirm because I had to pee so badly...thought about walking around to try to not think about how badly I had to go to the bathroom but realized I would pee my pants for sure if I stood up longer than 20 seconds....figured I should at least say my prayers, but I couldn't concentrate because I had to go so bad, and was praying instead that I wouldn't explode. 


Each minute kinda dragged on and Hermana Hayes was kinda taking awhile. I debated what to do. I was desperate. I couldn't just walk into the bathroom because there's no shower curtain [the idea of seeing my comp naked would not have been appealing to either of us]. I turned off my alarm at this point, 6:26, as I was already awake and clearly wasn't going to fall back asleep for another 4 minutes. I laid there squirming. And then I took hold of a thought--in our kitchen we have 2 sinks--one normal one [for washing dishes] and then another one in the corner for hand washing clothes that we sometimes use to wash our garments. I debated for all of 2 seconds--which was worse--peeing my pants (which I actually was only wearing garment bottoms and no PJ pants) or doing the other option. Without further hesitation I opted for Plan B. I flew out of bed, threw a skirt on so I wouldn't be seen later by my comps in just my garment bottoms, and I rushed into the kitchen, trying to quickly close the bedroom and kitchen doors behind me. As fast as I could, once I was in the kitchen I pulled down my skirt and bottoms, hopped up on the clothes-washing sink, which was a little higher than I expected--and just let it all go. I hoped Hermana O wouldn't walk in on me--I don't know how I would have explained why I was sitting in our sink going to the bathroom in it, but I wasn't too worried. I finished my business, slightly embarrassed at what I'd done, but mostly relieved and grateful that the sink hadn't collapsed under my weight. I spent the next 10 or so minutes scrubbing the sink out with lots of soap [three different kinds actually, just to be sure], hoping again that neither of my comps would walk in on me, as that would look super suspicious and I didn't have a good enough reason of why I was giving a thorough cleaning of our clothes sink, which I'd only used once for my clothes. When I finished I threw away the sponge I'd used to clean the sink so no one else would use it and I concealed it in a box in the garbage so it wouldn't be found. 


I went back to the bedroom. 6:42. Hermana Ortiz was saying her prayers, and Hermana Hayes was just getting out of the shower. Yeah, there's no way I would have lasted. And hopefully my comps will never know of this [they do]. Haha, oh man.


Well, time for personal study.
Hasta luego."

2 comments:

  1. oh man, this is hilarious. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY REMEMBER YOU TELLING ME THIS!!! hahahahahahhahahaha You had issues.

    ReplyDelete