Sunday, March 30, 2014

My new life/Pennies for dollars

I am always surprised and curious by some people. Some people have surprised reactions when they see me out and about running errands with Caleb. Some have expressed surprise that I seem so "put together," as if it was a miracle that I was able to shower and get dressed in something other than sweats and get out the door. I am also surprised (and a little annoyed) at the abundance of articles and blog posts online about how difficult it is being a mom, especially a stay-at-home-mom, as if their world got turned upside-down the moment they popped out a kid. (I almost wrote pooped out a kid on accident. Haha)

I have something to say to these people.

My life changed when we had Caleb. That little boy impacted our world as nothing else could. And I would not trade my life for anyone else's.

Did we have to adapt? Yes.

I went from a college student to a stay-at-home-mom rather quickly and it was a HUGE change. Written tests were exchanged for the test of patience as our baby cried sometimes for no reason. Late nights with roommates and friends were exchanged with late nights with a baby who refused to fall asleep. Getting up for classes was exchanged for getting up in the middle of the night to feed my baby. The pains of loneliness were exchanged for the pains of breastfeeding. But all of those things were also exchanged for the adventure of working on a new life together with my husband, as we got to know this incredible and beautiful new spirit that entered our lives.



Did we have to make some sacrifices? Of course.

We couldn't go to the movies whenever we wanted to. We had to plan our temple trips better to make sure we could make our goal of still going once a month. I couldn't work on my art every time I wanted since Caleb would get hungry or grumpy. Sometimes I had to postpone eating my own dinner so Caleb could eat his. We had to make more of a daily schedule. My body changed and suffered from going through pregnancy, delivery, and nursing.

But as my mom told me, with motherhood you are exchanging pennies for dollars. I would do it all again. Even the pregnancy nausea part. Because it lead to the beautiful life I have now.



These sacrifices are so trivial compared with what I got in return. I get to see a baby look around for me when he hears my voice. I get to see a baby, my baby, laugh and smile and show off those adorable dimples every day. I have not just one, but two cuddle buddies. I get to watch firsthand as this little person reaches new milestones that I took for granted. Things like being able to grab a desired object or holding one's head up. I get to watch him explore a brand new world as I ponder the miracle of life.

My life did not end because I had a baby. It changed. It got better. And we adapted. Some of those adaptations were more difficult than others. But again, pennies for dollars.



People, pull yourself together. Shower when the baby is asleep, or put him or her in a bouncer in the bathroom. Take control of your life. Stop reading all of the "How to survive being a young mother!" articles all of the time like I mistakenly did, because it makes life seem harder than it is. Get dressed, put on some makeup, and get out the door every once in awhile for goodness sake. Let Dad take the kids for a night every so often so you can rejuvenate yourself. Don't stop working on your talents--they will help you and your family. Find the little and big joys in being a parent. Have play dates with other people in your shoes. Laugh at the things that go wrong, like when the baby has pooped or spat up on his fourth outfit. Stop comparing yourself in negative ways to those around you and find a righteous parenting style that works for you and BE CONFIDENT with it. That doesn't mean you'll never have questions, but when you do, ask the veteran parents around you for counsel, and cherry pick what works for you.

You are not a victim of parenthood. Yes, your life is different. But every single stage of life will have its challenges. Life is about adapting. So adapt. When God created you, He also made you a problem-solver.

Yes, there will be days like these. Laugh, clean it up, and move on... But take a picture to laugh at later first. 
There are so many things online that make parenthood and children seem like they are monsters out to ruin your life. Can we please stop with that nonsense? It's no wonder people postpone having children--people think they won't get to do all the wonderful things they want to do once they have a family. While some of that may be true, you instead get to do DIFFERENT wonderful things once you have a family. Like helping a child grow and learn and explore, who in turn will teach you to do the same.

Pennies for dollars.

Thank you Brent and Caleb, for giving me the life of my dreams.




***Before you leave any comments, know that I fully acknowledge that if you are dealing with postpartum depression, a baby with colic, or any other difficult circumstances, then yes, those add new stresses and I fully realize that I don't completely know what those situations are like. I would love your input if you have dealt with those things. 



2 comments:

  1. Angela, I love this!!! I hate the sentiment that having a baby will ruin your life! I know it'll be hard and it will change a lot, but I love what you said- pennies for dollars! I am going to read this often in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more! I think that most new moms are way too up-tight about their babies! Relax! It will come! They will eventually hit all of their milestones with out any fancy studies! I don't even own sweatpants (maybe one pair) so I always have to ay least kind of get ready for my day! It helps! Thanks for writing this, you have a way with words that is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete