Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Labels

Labels are a funny thing. We use them to easily identify people, for example, "She's single." "He's gay." "She's a musician." "He's a loser." "She's a schizo." "He's divorced." "She's a *%##." "He's a doctor." But doing that creates everyone a disservice: we come to see people under just one or two labels (often bad, and always leading to other assumptions or other labels about them) instead of a being with a concoction of gifts, talents, personality traits, weaknesses (you have them too, as I'm sure you're already aware), good and rough experiences that have shaped this being into a unique child of God who has the potential to become like Him. And even if we don't think that the person is terribly unique, they are still a child of God and I think it makes God pretty sad to see His children ignorantly bashing on His other children.
  The worst thing, is often we identify ourselves with labels, which shape how we look upon ourselves, which determines our self-esteem. And I think that makes God sad too.
  Here's an example of how I label myself with 2 different labels, and each of them affect my self-esteem.

Case 1: "I'm single." -->following thought process: 'Wow, something must be wrong with me...it seems like everyone else is already married or at least in a significant relationship...all the girls in my family were married by the time they were 19....wow I'm a loser! (just led to another bad label)"

Case 2: "I'm an RM" -->"Wow, that means I'm really cool. I wasn't even obligated to go and so that means I'm a pretty good person! I'm pretty righteous."

Both labels have different affects, and both ultimately lead to pride issues. Actually, thinking about it, it's the PRIDE that creates the labels. When we create bad labels for people, we feel we are better than them--thankful that such a label does not apply to ourselves (in our ignorant knowledge). Good labels on ourselves may make us feel like we are better than those who do not follow under that label.
   Now, think of those examples--when you labeled someone with case 1 label or case 2, did my thought process match up with what your perception of me would be if you only knew me under one of the two labels? If you're Mormon and grew up in the Mormon culture (I just labeled you!) then chances are they matched up pretty well. Interesting how a society or culture creates the meanings and feelings associated with the labels, and they gain a general consensus.
  Now, if I gave you a list of all the different labels that apply to me instead of one, you'd get a more accurate picture of who I am, instead of labeling me simply as "single" or "an RM."
Here's my list: *single   *RM   *Mormon   *Republican    *artist   *college student   *Relief Society member    *quirky    *art ed major    *sister    *daughter    *friend    *traveler    *asthmatic  ...etc.
   And if one's perception of a label isn't even accurate, it makes it worse. For example, if I told someone I just met, "I'm Mormon," if they don't know much about that religion, then they might think, "Wow, she's going to be one of many wives of the same dude, what a sicko." (we don't follow that anymore btw--those are other religions thank you very much! research it.)
 
But....there is ONE label that applies to everyone, and will totally and completely change the perspective you have on everyone, whether they're previously labeled as "emo" "gangbanger" "rebel" "goody-two-shoes" "valedictorian" "cheater" "player" "tool" "saint" "scientist" or just a plain old "weirdo".

Here's the magical label that I challenge you to label everyone: Child of God.

It applies to everyone, including yourself. Did that alter your perspective? I hope it did. Pride can take no claim on that label, and it's the very label God would refer to each of His children, which He created and knows by name not to mention the number of hairs on their head.

To end, here's a video of a man, labeled as a "bum" because he was literally homeless. But learning how talented this man is completely alters what we think of him.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. This is like the quote I heard: "Love people (including yourself) for who you are, not who you have become" Ya know? You are a child of God...if you have become a brat...well...go back to being a child of God. :) I like it.

    ReplyDelete