Thursday, April 21, 2011

#28: Another FD (Fall Documentation): Italy

So, a few years ago I had the opportunity to go on a study abroad to my dream place: Italy. I was the 2nd youngest in the group, and it only took a few days for everyone to notice that I was not exactly the most graceful of persons. I was soon dubbed "Lil' Ang."

Towards the end of our trip we ended up touring the beautiful coastal towns known as Cinque Terre, which is basically the Celestial Kingdom on earth. Well, no, but I have yet to come across any place more beautiful. The group of girls I was with decided that we should try sunbathing on these nice flat rocks that were peeking out of the water along the shore. The postcard-like scene was too alluring.

The girls I was with successfully maneuvered the flat rocks and staked out their individual sunbathing spots. Then in comes Lil' Ang. I made it about 2 or 3 rocks in, when my 0-traction shoe hit some moss just right...and I was down before you could say "ciao bella." But, I have learned to just laugh at myself, and the girls I was with had learned to laugh at me--er...with me...--too. Unfortunately, I was wearing these white and blue-striped shorts, and the rock I had landed on was clothed in a nice thin green layer of Mediterranean moss, which all too easily transferred to my large kabooty.

After a hearty laugh, I stood up and attempted to hop to the next rock. Apparently this rock felt like the first one hadn't done its job right, because before I knew it, I found myself back into a horizontal position, and this time with some painful souvenirs on my legs in the form of scrapes and bruises. This time, the girls laughed so hard that one of them almost peed her pants. And the layer of green on the seat of my shorts received an additional tint.

At that point, no one trusted me to walk by myself and I was helped to a wonderful, moss-free bathing stone where I was able to enjoy myself with everyone else. Unfortunately, I was never really able to wash the St. Patrickness out of my pants...and from then on not only was a dubbed Lil' Ang, but also "Scum Bum."

1 comment:

  1. Great picture! haha I'm glad that was visually documented, Scum Bum. :)

    ps--I hear I get to see you tonight, which makes me very happy!

    ReplyDelete