Sunday, June 15, 2014

Arizona trip (mostly pictures)

I wanted to post this sooner, but halfway through writing it, my internet decided it hated me for about a week and a half. Why does bad internet make us so grouchy??

Anyway, sorry for that whiny last post. This one won't be as whiny.
We have already been having quite the summer. Brent had an Acoustical Society of America (ASA) meeting in Rhode Island the first week of May, and I hadn't seen my sister Kathryn since August so I went to go see her. That meant flying with Caleb by myself for the first time. Oh man. I was so anxious about it that I only got about three hours of sleep the night before. Luckily it all went really well. My other sister Laura was a sweetie and helped get us to the airport. Unfortunately our flight was delayed indefinitely (ended up being a couple hours) and that was frustrating. Also, Caleb peed through all of his clothes during the flight. Luckily, I was smart enough to get an aisle seat close to the bathroom should a diaper change need to happen. Unfortunately, the seatbelt sign was on because of turbulence, and had no signs of turning off. I did not want to hold a wet baby for an hour, so I asked the flight attendant if I could use the bathroom to change a diaper. She said, "If you ask, I have to tell you no. But the door's unlocked and I don't tackle." She was awesome. While in the bathroom I heard the pilot announce that we were flying over Zion's Park, and I was so disappointed that I would miss it. But when I got out, we were over the Grand Canyon! Let me tell you, a bird's eye view of the Grand Canyon is stunning. The guy in the window seat even moved so I could sit there and enjoy the view. Super kudos to him because he also helped me make a bottle for Caleb (it's really hard to make a bottle for a baby when you are holding said baby and there are no flat surfaces available). 



My sweet little traveler (outfit #2)

Once we got there, everything was great! Kathryn hosted a fun Cinco de Mayo party with Cafe Rio pork that she made herself! We went on a hike, talked tons, and even took Caleb to a pool for his first time!
He wasn't a huge fan of the cold water.
But once he was warm he cheered up to his usual happy self



Love that little goober. But I cannot believe that I forgot to actually get a picture with Kathryn. So dumb of me. Ugh. Caleb also got to meet his second cousin! My cousin also lives in Arizona and we hadn't even met each others' babies, who were only born a week apart. So cousin Kelsey came over with baby Henry and we got to gush over our babies and we all ate ebilskievers (which I have no idea to actually spell). Fortunately the babies weren't very mobile. They seemed more interested in grabbing each other's faces. Caleb in particular really wanted to grab a chunk of Henry. Naughty boy.



The trip went by way to quickly.  Fortunately, the flight back wasn't delayed. But there was a man dressed as a woman in our aisle, which made things interesting. The stewardess was super nice and told me to let her know if I needed anything, and that if Caleb got fussy and people got mad, then she would deal with them. She added that adults were worse than the babies, which I totally believe. There was also a very kind lady who asked if she could help me on and off the plane. Yay for nice people!







No comments:

Post a Comment